About Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee
Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee’s mission is to ensure all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action and sustained by community.
Free of charge to everyone, Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee, an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community, provides a gathering place where people with cancer, as well as their families and friends, can join with others to actively build social and emotional support as a supplement to regular medical care.
Our evidence-based program includes support groups, emotional support counseling, nutrition coaching, healthy lifestyle workshops, mind-body classes, social activities, educational lectures and community resource information. Offering approximately 70 professionally-led support and networking groups, and over 80 educational workshops and lectures every month, Gilda’s Club is able to make a tangible difference in the lives of those impacted by cancer. We build community, so no one has to face cancer alone.
Position: Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee President and CEO
Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee (GCMT), an affiliate of the Cancer Support Community, seeks a strategic-minded, proven leader with expertise in and a passion for fundraising, managing a skilled team of cancer support professionals, and ensuring attention to detail in GCMT’s finances, programs and marketing operations. An exceptional day-to-day manager, GCMT’s next President and CEO will be committed to fostering a member-first, service-oriented culture and to empowering its staff to fulfill the GCMT Mission to “ensure that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action and sustained by community.”
GCMT’s President & CEO is responsible for carrying out the strategic mission of the organization through donor and Board development, fostering a positive staff culture, supporting operational infrastructures, and serving as the organization’s primary spokesperson. The President & CEO provides ongoing support, leadership and direction for four Directors (Program, Development, Finance and Marketing), and manages a team of nine FTEs and several part-time staff members, inspiring and motivating each employee to carry out GCMT’s Mission with great success.
The position reports to the Board of Directors.
Essential Qualities in GCMT’s President and CEO
- Professional, driven leader with high integrity and a passionate belief and commitment to ensure no one has to face cancer alone
- Highly driven fundraiser who will significantly grow individual, foundation and corporate giving
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented, industrious and committed to accountability throughout the organization
- Exceptional communicator who is proficient in conflict management and promoting a collaborative work environment
- Steadfast to maintain GCMT’s unrivaled compassionate culture and commitment to care as the organization grows
- Highly skilled in verbal and written communications, an excellent speaker at public engagements and in media interviews
- An expert budget specialist and keen strategic planner
Strategic Leadership and Planning
- Ensures that the Vision, Mission, Values and Strategies are in alignment
- Ensures that a well-crafted strategic plan is in place that guides the organization’s direction, as well as an operational plan that supports the strategic plan
Fundraising and Resource Development
- Spearheads and oversees fund development to include execution of an ambitious Development Plan that will enable GCMT to grow with the Middle Tennessee community
- Generates essential revenue through a blend of foundation gifts and grants, individual donations, corporate partnerships, special events and planned giving
- Utilizes exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills to make new contacts and maintain existing donor relations
- Manages proposals for specific program funding and utilizes staff and board talents and connections to increase revenue
- Establishes and measures development objectives and goals with the Development Director
- Responsible for recruitment, retention and leadership of all staff members to support operational programs
- Ensures job descriptions are well defined and understood by staff members, and identifies and improves operational efficiencies
- Fosters positive, collaborative workplace environment through regular staff and one-on-one meetings, promotes professional development opportunities
- Maximizes employee development through mentoring, constructive annual reviews, competitive salaries and systems
- Oversees GCMT’s evidence-based cancer support programs at GCMT’s two facilities (Midtown and Williamson County)
- Ensures GCMT’s exceptional programs are top-of-mind with stakeholders in the healthcare, wellness and psycho-social support communities
- Ensures tangible and technological deliverables are shared with all stakeholders and regular team visits are made to best-identified referral sources
- Reviews program expenses regularly to ensure donor dollars are being deployed with maximum efficiency
- Establishes and measures program objectives and goals with the Program Director
- Develops budget for operations, including forecasts, formulations of program/project priorities, and recommendations for expenditure of resources for personnel, technology and other costs
- Works closely with the Finance Director and Finance Committee to manage and maintain control of financial affairs
- Establishes process for timely budget and financial statement review, develops controls for expenses and inventory, looks regularly for operational efficiencies
- Oversees operational costs to include insurance, quality assurance, risk management, security, leases, licenses, bonding, and health and safety measures
- Negotiates and executes purchase and other agreements and seeks appropriate Board authorization
- Conducts business in accordance with applicable federal, state and local financial laws and regulations
- Establishes and measures financial objectives with the Finance Director
- Works closely with Board Chair and the Executive Committee to ensure sound operations and to foster highly productive board meetings
- Ensures the Development, Finance, Governance & Nominating, and Marketing Committees are fully engaged, maximizing board strengths
- Collaborates with Board leaders to actively identify and recruit potential board members who directly meet GCMT’s needs
- Sets meeting schedules and proposes substantive policies and changes to the Board for review and approval, and ensures these initiatives are properly implemented
Community Relations and Advocacy
- Raises awareness of and articulates GCMT’s unique, distinguishable brand and services among existing and new audiences
- Delivers crisp, clear and inspiring communications to all audiences, including clubhouse members, staff, board, donors, grant-making organizations, news media, healthcare partners and all stakeholders
- Cultivates key donor and community leader relationships through personal visits and community appearances; waves the Gilda’s flag and promotes visits through our Red Doors
- Assures public awareness of GCMT’s mission and services through traditional and social media outlets as well as targeted public speaking, online videos and other methods
- Regularly engages and speaks at civic clubs and business and community events, local radio and TV, and print media
- Ensures GCMT’s website is managed and updated, marketing materials and press kits are maintained
- Establishes and measures marketing objectives and goals with the Marketing Director
Position is salaried. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
For consideration, submit your cover letter and resume in .pdf form by July 8, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions should be directed to Denise Alper, Interim President & CEO, at email@example.com or (615) 329-1124.
Gilda’s Club Middle Tennessee is an equal employment opportunity employer.